Special Opportunities for OPS Math Teachers
The NebraskaMATH Omaha Public Schools Teacher Leader Academy (OPS TLA) is a partnership between the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and the Omaha Public Schools. The OPS TLA programs form a community of OPS mathematics teachers (grades K-12) dedicated to strengthening mathematics teaching and learning in OPS classrooms. OPS TLA was made possible through generous support from The Sherwood Foundation® and the Lozier Foundation in Omaha. Applications for 2014 cohorts are now being accepted.
OPS TLA offers four outstanding graduate opportunities for OPS teachers:
- Primarily Math – An 18-credit hour graduate program, with tuition and fees paid by OPS TLA funds, for K-3 teachers leading to a K-3 mathematics specialist certificate from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln;
- Math in the Middle – A 36-credit hour graduate program, with tuition and fees paid by OPS TLA funds, for grades 4-8 teachers leading to a Master’s Degree from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln; or
- New Teacher Network – An 18-credit hour graduate program, with tuition and fees paid by OPS TLA funds, for teachers with secondary certification and fewer than three complete years of teaching experience;
- Sherwood®-Lozier Fellowships to take NMSSI graduate courses – Graduate coursework for OPS K-12 mathematics teachers, with tuition and fees paid by OPS TLA funds.
Applications for the 2014 cohorts of Primarily Math, Math in the Middle and New Teacher Network are now being accepted. The application deadline is Feb. 10, 2014.
Attend informational meetings about OPS TLA on either January 9 (room 406/408), January 22 (room 5062) or January 28 (room 5062) at the TAC building, 3215 Cuming Street, from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., to learn more.
Applications to start in 2014 will be invited from OPS K-12 mathematics teachers interested in strengthening their knowledge of mathematics and the teaching of mathematics and becoming a district leader eager to give back to the district through high quality teaching in their own classrooms and by sharing what they learn with other OPS teachers.
Learn MoreYou can learn more about the benefits of these outstanding programs by contacting OPS teachers who are already part of the NebraskaMATH OPS Teacher Leader Academy by checking out our OPS Teacher Leader Academy Community page.
Math Course Offered Online this Spring
This spring, the UNL Department of Mathematics will offer Math 805T: Discrete Mathematics for Teachers online, taught by Dr. Annika Denkert of UNL. Sherwood-Lozier Fellowships are available to pay for the cost of tuition and fees. The semester begins January 13, 2014. The Class Number in MyRED for Math 805T, section 700, is 24135. The main goal of the course is to deepen knowledge of discrete mathematics as it relates to topics covered in middle through high school curricula. Course topics (such as graph theory and counting techniques) are introduced through "hands-on" explorations through which various problem-solving strategies are emphasized. Email us by Dec. 16 at email@example.com to let us know if you plan to register for the course so that we can pay your tuition and fees.
Who Teaches OPS Teacher Leader Academy Classes?
NebraskaMATH OPS Teacher Leader Academy courses (Primarily Math, Math in the Middle, and NMSSI courses offered in Omaha) are taught using an instructional team approach that ensures support is always available to the OPS teacher-participants in the courses. OPS teachers will learn from an instructional team that includes outstanding faculty who teach at UNL, UNO and other Nebraska colleges as well as many OPS Master Teachers.
Summer 2013 Courses were:
|Program||Course||Lead Instructor||Other Instructional Team Members|
|Primarily Math||Math 800P||Kristie Pfabe||Connie Colton, Tanya Archie, Mandy German, Dianne Lee|
|Primarily Math||Math 801P||Kristie Pfabe||Connie Colton, Tanya Archie, Mandy German, Marni Dreissen, Matt Timm|
|Math in the Middle||Math 800T||Jim Lewis||Janice Rech, Kesha King, Kyla Hall, Patty Hastings|
|Math in the Middle||Math 802T||Brent Larson||Katie Garcia, Jessica Korth, Paula Millerd|
|NMSSI||Math 810T||Greg Sand|
|NMSSI||Math 803P||Jill Luschen|
|NMSSI||Math 804P||Phil LaFleur||Katie Haymaker|
|NMSSI Online||Math 808T||Greg Sand|
|NMSSI Online||Math 802T||David Hartman|
|NMSSI Online||TEAC 949A||Ruth Heaton|
Academic-Year Online Courses:
|Semester||Course||Lead Instructor||Other Instructional Team Members|
|Fall 2013||MATH 810T||Michelle Homp||Annika Denkert|
|Spring 2014||MATH 805T||Annika Denkert||Amber Vlasnik|
Now Accepting Applications
We are now accepting applications for the summer 2014 cohorts for OPS Teacher Leader Academy: Primarily Math, New Teacher Network, and Math in the Middle.
In March 2014, we will reopen the application window for OPS Teacher Leader Academy: Sherwood®-Lozier Fellowships to take NMSSI courses.
Featured in the News
- Omaha World-Herald: 2 groups partner to improve Omaha Public Schools math skills 07-16-2013
- UNL leads $5.5M effort to improve math education in Omaha 07-16-2013
- KETV Channel 7 Omaha: $5.5M grant invests in math educators 07-15-2013
- Omaha World-Herald: Math in the Middle's Archie, Derr and Primarily Math's Bryan named 2013 Alice Buffett Outstanding Teachers 05-13-2013
Contact UsIf you have questions, please contact us at